Taking care of yourself after leaving an unhealthy relationship is very important. After all, being treated badly can make you lose confidence in yourself and affect the way you interact with others.
Things to remember:
- You are just as important and worthwhile as anyone else.
- You don’t have to match up to anyone’s standards except your own.
- You don’t have to be the same as everyone else.
- You are not alone. Others have gone through similar tough times and have made it through.
- You have the right to express your personal, cultural or religious beliefs.
- You have the right to have your own feelings, opinions and friends.
- You deserve love and respect.
| Go back to Helpin' u out |
- Get involved in something that interests you and connects you with other people.
- Exercise or take up a sport – get fitter, stronger, & less stressed.
- Spend time with people who treat you with respect and make you feel good.
- Talk to a counselor who can help you to accept yourself and develop future goals.
- Laugh out loud. Remember it's ok to laugh.
- Write a letter to your bf/gf or ex that you don’t have to send, just to vent & get your feelings out.
- Listen to Music – something that makes you feel positive & strong. [list]
- Journal your feelings down on paper.
- Set goals and work towards them one step at a time so you can feel in control.
- Hang out in a place that makes you happy and chill.
- Soak it away with a bath or shower.
- Give yourself credit for every small step you take to build your self-esteem.